“Meals on Wheels makes volunteering so easy! I volunteer just a couple of hours a week, and everyone is so friendly and welcoming. I’ve made nice connections with other volunteers and the clients are wonderful–so appreciative of the food, and fun to chat with.”– a volunteer, 2020
Join our Kitchen Brigade or Delivery Team!
Every weekday, Kitchen Assistants and Deliverers keep our program running. Most of our volunteers come in once each week. Some come in more than one day in a week, others come in every other week. Still other volunteers serve as backups, only coming in to cover when others are away. We welcome volunteers of all ages. Most of our volunteers are retirees or working-age adults. Students join us on summer break and school holidays, often completing their SSL (Student Service Learning) hour requirement with us. Our youngest volunteers can assist their parents with deliveries. Younger volunteers must have their parent/guardian’s permission.
In our 2021 volunteer survey, 100% of our volunteers said that they’d recommend volunteering with us to their own friends and family. All volunteers are trained on their first day. And we’re happy to answer questions; just give us a call at 301-434-1922.
We have two Kitchen Brigade shifts every day. The morning shift runs from 9am to 11:45am. This team prepares sandwiches and packages food for that day’s meals.
Our mid-day shift starts at noon and goes until 2:00pm. These volunteers prepare and package food for the next day’s meals and help the cook clean and prepare the kitchen for the next day.
Our deliverers enjoy meeting recipients and provide a smile with each delivery. Drivers arrive at 11:45 to pick up coolers, hot packs, and route sheets. Routes are finished within an hour to an hour and a half.
It’s nice when when someone’s day gets better because you showed up! –a volunteer, 2021
Before your first shift, we’ll connect with you by phone to tell you more about our program, answer questions, and get you on the calendar. Please give us a call at 301-434-1922 or complete the form below to express interest. You can also download and print out the complete application form and bring it with you when you come to your first scheduled shift.
- …building relationships with clients, volunteers & staff—being a part of a meaningful enterprise.
- …during this pandemic year, it’s the feeling of making a dent in the food insecurity situation that’s been increased thanks to covid. I also really like the Meals on Wheels community.
- …being helpful to folks who need it and making personal connections to clients.
- …the opportunity to provide support to those who are homebound.
- …connecting with the other volunteers in the kitchen and working together to do something positive.
- …it’s an awesome feeling knowing that I can make a difference in someone’s life…and you all make it so easy!